WordPress being the top most blogging platforms according to the blogging pundits and most of the top ranked blogs are run on WordPress. There are various advantages of WordPress that are not present in other blogging platforms. One of them is that you can get to choose your own domain name instead of having a sub domain name. The various options of themes make it easy for you to distinguish your blog from the others. Apart from the themes available, you can customize themes for yourselves and put your creativity on display.
Image source:- yaps.co.in
Using the plugins it is also possible for the users to tailor the performance of the blog in accord to the need. It is also easy to use and user friendly so that you can manage with a minimum knowledge too. The most important feature of the WordPress is that all the above facilities are available for no cost at all. Though there are so many benefits of WordPress, there is a drawback of your blog being hacked by someone else. But in order to keep your WordPress blog safe, there are certain measures that you can follow. Here is how to can secure your WordPress blog from being hacked.
- The first thing that is necessary to keep every account safe is to have a safe password. A simple and unsophisticated password is always vulnerable to hacking. Password hacking is no big deal for the professional hackers and it is upto you to have your password as complicated as possible. (You can also read our earlier post about how hackers can effect your blog rss feed?)
- You can use a password that is a combination of letters, numbers and special characters. This makes it a bit stronger and a lengthy password also does equal good. Do not reveal your password to anyone or write it down anywhere. Changing of passwords every now and then also helps in the protection of the blog.
- As there are no security patches for older versions of WordPress, you need to keep up to date with the most up-to-date versions of WordPress. If you have more than one WordPress installation, you can check the various versions through Subversion and using an accompanying script.
- Have the idle themes removed as they can invite the hacker to insert code into the frequently used files.
- There are also vulnerabilities that are related to the servers and it is of great import to ensure the stable versions of the web server, scripting interpreter and database. Your host must be trustworthy enough to keep your WordPress account safe even if you have shared servers.
- Backing up you data including the MySQL database is also important as there can be hacker software that can help the hackers gain easy access to your computers.
- Your plugins also need to be updated every now and then. And if you are not using any specific plugin have it deleted from the system.
- Even though you take enough precautions for the safety of your WordPress blog, there is still the possibility for your blog to get hacked. So it is necessary that you keep a close watch fro any intrusion into your blog. This can help you act immediately and recover from the troubles easily.